Friday, October 3, 2008

Not so fun Fridays....

So this morning was a lot more like a Mondayish morning than a Friday.

My pain medication makes me exhausted during waking hours and restless during the night. So frustrating! So I am up and down all night last night knowing that I am subbing for 7th grade in the morning and need to be pumped and rested.

I wake up at 7 and feel pretty sick, I think I am getting a cold, which is not good because the doctors have told me to stay ultra healthy in order to beat the infection and get the surgery underway...so there's that. So my throat is sore and my eyes are sore and I am contemplating calling in and seeing if they can get another sub. I decide since it is just a half day that it is worth toughing out and getting some pay out of it.

I jump in the shower and the next thing I know our door bell is clicking (it has always been broken, never rings, it clicks!). So I think surely my dad is home and will handle whatever this is, nope. Then I think well mom doesn't leave until 8 so she'll get it, nope she's already gone too. So I run to the door from the shower hair dripping, robe soaking wet, ego bruised because I slipped on the second flight of stairs trying to get down to the front door. I am met by, and I'm not kidding, like 6 men in their late 20s, early 30s who are here to re-roof our house. Awesome, they told us they would come on Saturday, but whatever they are gonna fix our hail-damaged roof. So I am out on the front lawn with them showing them where different things are and moving our cars one by one onto the grass.

Then I call my father--the superintendent where I sub--to tell him I'll be late because his roof is being surprised re-roofed that day. So I'm driving with one hand holding a coffee mug, the other holding my cell phone, then trying to put lipgloss on, and pin my hair back, and mess with the radio station all at once. I also realized that my mug of choice for the week--I tend to go through mug obsessed stages where I am really into one coffee mug that week and will wash it out and use it over and over that week and then get sick of it by Monday and start fresh--is blatantly a Christmas mug with trees and stars and Santa on it. I seriously had not noticed this up until Friday morning, I thought it just had painted things on it, so I guess I am just psychologically excited about the holidays.

I get to school and get signed in and head down the hall where I am hugged several times and greeted with "Mrs. Pritz!" "are you my sub?" "are you Mr. Pritz's daughter?" "are you Mr. Pritz's wife?". So my first hour has eighteen 7th grade boys half of them wearing football jerseys because it's game day. They were interesting, but fun, I had to work hard to keep them reigned in and focused especially since my sore throat is making my voice go fast.

I went home after lunch and couldn't stand the hammering, pounding, nailing, and ripping, and decided to head to Sapulpa's awesome coffee hangout Java Dave's. I am sitting here quietly drinking my soy latte and writing this therapeutic post. I think I might have to take a nap on this overstuffed couch.....

No comments: