Monday, June 2, 2008

Parral, Mexico....The Capital of the World






Where have I been? It's been a few weeks, but I went to Mexico! Surprise? Kind of, we've been planning this trip for quite a while but didn't really pull it all together until the last second, really days before.

Here's the run down:
Me, Micah DeKorne, Ryan Likes, and Mark Dawson (Denver boys), took a rental car from Denver to El Paso, TX where we stayed the night at some family friends of my family. VERY early the next morning we took a bus from El Paso to Parral, Mexico, about a 10 hour trip. I am not a huge fan of buses but it wasn't completely terrible. I was with great friends and knew that I was headed to more wonderful friends, thus it was easier to endure. Boy did we stink by the time we got to Mexico, I will refrain from going into detail in that area.

Why would we take this crazy trip to Mexico? Good question, which has an awesome answer. Kristen Olson, David Okada, and Billy Nye is the answer. Three of my dearest friends who all teach at a Christian school in Parral and work with the church that runs the school. It was the joy of my life to go visit Kristen, my best college friend and former roommate of multiple years. We were asked if we were sisters countless times and enjoyed many hilarious and some confusing moments that expressed, yet again, that though we may look alike, we are complete opposites in almost every way. It was like old times again and I love that our friendship always picks up where it left off, there is never an adjustment period. Needless to say KO you are my fave and I love you!


Karla Elizalde, Isaac Gonzalez, and Jessica Novoa are JBU grads who are natives to Parral and were such good hosts to us. I enjoyed developing new and better friendships with these three in their hometown and country. Pepe Lopez and Ruben Estrada came down as well and spent the week with us bringing more dear friends and fun to our group! Seriously, when they walked into church on Sunday it meant that everyone that was coming on the trip had officially arrived and I thought my heart would burst with excitement and joy!

Our time in Parral was one adventure after another.
We climbed things--hills, rocks, sand dunes.
We ate lots---beef, beef, beef, bread, bread, fruit, really good Mexican food. We went to church and school---amazing little kids that didn't care that I couldn't speak spanish and they couldn't speak english, they just talked my head off anyway!
We met the most amazing Mexican people---I love all my new friends and was so blessed by the open hearts that met us in Parral.
We laughed and sang---how can you not have fun with your close friends reunited in another country? Guitars were taken everywhere, even to the top of Antenna Hill where we hiked, ate, and sang until it was pitch black outside.
We enjoyed each other---It is an awesome thing when such a large group of people get along and truly enjoy their time together.
We brought a dog back across the border---I was probably the most surprised by this. I was not excited about this idea, knowing the dog would have to make a 24 hour trip with us, but seeing the love glowing in Micah and Ryan's eyes for this little puppy told me that keeping my mouth shut and watching the situation play out may be the wiser decision. The puppy was named Rendencion (redemption), or Red, and survived the whole trip with us and now resides in the boys' home in Denver where she is teaching them how to raise a bilingual Mexican dog.

Mexico was amazing. One of the biggest and most fun adventures of my life. I could not have felt more fulfilled or loved by my old, continuing, and new friendships that were fostered and enjoyed on this trip. For all my friends involved I have missed you so much in the last few days and will never forget Parral!!!






3 comments:

billy said...

sweet post, Pritzer. way to be on top of things and start putting up pictures and stories from our grand adventure. i'm going to have to get to that soon. it was such a joy to have you guys down here - we had way too much fun!

bn

Rose Starr said...

Great post Emily! Truly an ADVENTURE in every sense of the word!

We were so blessed to have you over a few times while in Denver. My kiddos are gonna have to start calling you "Auntie Emily" soon :)

Thanks again for the super gifts...you are a wonderful gift giver...I love my necklace and the girls have been wearing theirs non stop!

Hope to see you this summer!
~Rose

Anonymous said...

Emily!!! what a good trip!
and next.... Costa Rica!!!!
come see me plis