Monday, June 16, 2008

Lake City, Colorado....Home Sweet Home















I have moved! I am officially living in the most rustic, untouched, and isolated city I have ever been to. I mean all of that in a really good way.

I am working with my dear JBU friend Sarah Kientz at the San Juan Soda Company. It is truly the most quaint and old-fashioned ice cream parlor and soda fountain ever. Lake City has no stoplights and hardly any paved roads. There are only about 400 locals and the rest of the town is made of mountain men and tourists. I am living with the awesome owners of the soda shop the Hartmans. They have a pretty spectacular cabin that you can see in the photo and are super generous and fun. I am enjoying living with the other girls in the loft and playing with the 4 Hartman grandchildren who are almost always fixtures in the house or the soda shop.

Kyndel Ligget, my JBU friend and housemate in the Ministry House our senior year, works at the family camp at Redcloud, the Christian camp just outside of town, and my housemate from the famed and beloved 340 Holly Street, Kristin Rohrer, works as a wilderness guide also at Redcloud. Having these two dear friends close is the best gift!

There is a large community between all of the workers at Redcloud that we (soda shop girls) get to be a part of as well. It is an awesome group of men and women in their 20s and I am already realizing that I will always be looking forward to the weekends when we can all hangout together and will always feel super excited when they come in big groups to the soda shop in the middle of the week! I am excited about these new relationships and look forward to seeing them grow.

Pretty much, I am excited about this mountain life and look forward to the adventures that will happen up here. I can't believe that I am living here when I look around or when I have to drive on a dirt road with switch backs just to get to the cabin where I live or when during a movie a bear destroys the bird feeder just outside the cabin!

I heart Lake City.

4 comments:

D. Wo. said...

I never understood why Colorado has become the Mecca that it is for graduated college students. It's the most normal, garden-variety, nothing-unusual state. Maybe that's because I've lived there for the first eighteen years of my life.

So, as soon as I graduate from college, where is it that I run off to?

...it starts with a 'C' and rhymes with 'Colorado'.

melissa said...

sounds great, pritz. miss you. (maybe i'll come up for the CO reunion after all...and convince you to come to it, too!)

linda said...

i'm so glad that you love it!

Rose Starr said...

Those pics are great...looks like a wonderful place to spend the summer :)
~Rose